The Russian Justice Ministry said Thursday that it will appeal a ruling by the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) on compensation for survivors of a 2004 terrorist attack.
The ECHR ruled earlier in the day that Russia should pay a total of nearly three million euros (3.2 million U.S. dollars) to the plaintiffs, who accused Russian security forces of misconduct when delivering them from the terrorists.
“The European Court ruling has not become effective and will be appealed within the three-month deadline,” the Russian Justice Ministry said in a statement.
In September 2004, more than 30 armed terrorists took over 1,100 people hostages for three days at a school in the city ofBeslan in the Russian Republic of North Ossetia.
More than 330 people, including 180 children, lost their lives and over 750 people were injured in a raid by Russian security forces against the terrorists.
Representatives of 409 Russian citizens, who were the victims or relatives of the victims in the Beslan attack, filed a lawsuit to the ECHR, charging Russian security forces for using excessive force and failing to take sufficient steps to minimize civilian casualties.
The Russian Justice Ministry said the ECHR judges did not understand the gravity of the hostage crisis and the details and risks of the rescue operation.
The ministry claimed that no hostages were injured by weapons used by Russian security forces during the raid.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Thursday that the ECHR ruling is “absolutely unacceptable” and Russia will take all necessary legal actions in response.